Holly’s paddling related certification, experience and achievements.
- Wilderness First Responder
- Basic Adult, Child & Infant First Aid & CPR
- Certified ACA Canoe Instructor Trainer Level II
- Certified ACA Kayak Instructor Level II
- Certified ACA Stand Up Paddle Board Instructor Level I
- Certified as an United State Canoe Racing Association Canoe Instructor
- Certified CAPPA Fitness Trainer and Educator
Holly began teaching canoeing in 2001 at various camps and organizations. In 2009 she slowly began teaching on her own and started up Paddle With Style. Through Paddle With Style she has coached numerous teams to prepare and improve their skills for marathon racing. She has also organized and taught canoe classes for various schools and multiple home school families. She has experience in training camp counselors to teach canoeing/kayaking at their camps and companies who’s work require paddling skills. A few of these including the USGS staff, Texas State University, City of New Braunfels, Camp Stewart, Explore Austin and a number of other summer camps. She has lead numerous week long river trips in addition to helping numerous scout troops earn their canoeing merit badges.
Staying active in the community Holly has volunteered and served on the local fire/river rescue team and the TCKRA Board. She has organized several river clean ups, and has been volunteering as race director for Kanu Rennen, a local canoe race for the past several years.
In the 2015 Texas Water Safari 67 teams completed the race and Holly had given a lesson to at least one of the team members on 22 of those teams! Virginia and Kaitlin, two of her previous student set the new women’s team record and finished 5th over all! Debbie, first place mixed team has also taken lessons with Holly in previous years. She also coached the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th place novice for the 2015 Texas Water Safari.
When Holly is not instructing or racing she stays busy by enjoying her three young children as a single mom. You will often find them together gardening, keeping animals, hiking, doing school or church activities and of course paddling on the river.
10 Texas Water Safari Finishes
- 2002 Second place novice (Aluminum)
- 2003 Second place women’s (USCA C2 – Brandy & Holly )
- 2004 Set a new record for the youngest female solo finisher and youngest 1 place winner
- 2004 Set the women’s solo record with a finishing time of 49:26 at 20th overall (broke by one of Holly’s students in 2016)
- 2005 First place womens. (Sandy, Mary & Holly) Set a record for the highest placement for a women’s team. 9th (This record was broken by Holly’s students in 2013 and again in 2015. Holly was also Team Captain for the 2013 team.)
- 2006 First place women’s team, 16th overall (Sandy, Sarah & Holly)
- 2007 Set a new women’s team record with a finishing time of 44:50, 17th overall . (Sarah, Hannah & Holly) (This record was broken in 2015 by two of Holly’s students)
- 2009 First place women’s (USCA c2 – Debbie & Holly)
- 2011 Part of the first and only 6 women’s team in the history of the TWS. 1st place women and 10th over all.(Sandy, Samantha, Virginia, Jamie, Natalie & Holly)
- 2012 Set a new women’s C1 record. Also the second woman to ever finish the TWS in a C1.
- 2014 Set a new and the current women’s C1 record with a finishing time of 57:49. (in a low water year!) She also set the highest overall placement record for a women’s C1 at 20th place.
5 Colorado 100 finishes
- All finishes are first place. In 2007 Holly and Fred Mynar set the current mixed course record of 11:55.
- Holly holds multiple first place Texas State Championships for Women’s USCA C1, USCA C2, and Aluminum. As well as other races throughout the state of Texas.
- She also won first place at the 2011 Aluminum National Championships.
- MR340 – 2016 First place OVER ALL win. First time for an all female team to win the over all title against over 400 teams in the 340 mile race across Missouri.